Friday, September 19, 2008

Ugh...my pores..

I just finished a book called "The Innocent Man", by John Grisham. It was some of the only fiction writing that Grisham has done as far as I know. But what happens is there is this local baseball hero named Ron Williamson in the little town of Ada, Oklahoma. They think he's going to be the next Mickey Mantle and such. He is really good and eventually gets drafted by a Major League team but then drugs, booze, and girls get in the way and he eventually gets back to his hometown where he goes insane, literally. There is a girl that is raped and murdered in a horrible fashion. The whole town is in an uproar over it and the police don't have any solid leads to who had done it so they basically just pick him and hall him into the station and charge him with the murder. He is tried in his little town with a bunch of jurors who want to pin it on somebody and they prosecute him and find him guilty on only one piece of minute evidence: a hair. What the prosecution chose to leave out in the courtroom was the fact that the hair was only microscopically related to the hair of Ron Williamson. And this hair could have belonged to almost anybody else in the town. But the jury found him guilty and the judge sentenced him to death. So he slowly goes insane sitting in a no contact prison cell on death row with real killers. He rots there for 11 years before DNA testing comes out and he gets a new trial and he is found innocent because he had no DNA at the crime scene at all. So they let him go without so much as an apology. So he sues the state for a mistrial or something and gets 5 million bucks. He dies not too long after that because of the complications of his time in prison.
Well, sorry if you wanted to go out and read the book. I still highly reccomend it. There are obviously a lot of details left out and it is a much better read than the paragraph you just got dragged through. I'm onto my next book "Takedown: The Fall of the Last Mafia Empire" It talks about Rick Cowen, a NYPD detective in 1992 who unearthed the hard evidence that the FBI had been chasing for decades: proof of collusion among mob families in NY to extort billions of dollars from the nation's biggest corporations. All through the garbage pick-up industry. It's a true story by the way and I'm really excited to read it.
Tonight at work (I'm at work right now) I decided that I don't really like fried food that much. A few days ago at a FHE delio I had fried chicken and it made me sick, then tonight at work the chefs had the day off so we got take out chinese and it was just a bunch of fried stuff. I ate it a couple hours ago and I feel like grease is coming out of my pores. It feels disgusting. So I'm going to try not to eat it. I'm going to have to tell Breana that we can't have that deep fried turkey at our reception anymore. I know how much she wanted it but I don't think I can handle it. :) hahaha, just kidding Bre. Welp, thats all for tonight. I wish you all a degreased evening. Grease Out!

No comments: