Saturday, February 20, 2010

State DEX Competition


So this semester I'm taking a Sales class and a Marketing class. Both of my teachers told our class that if we joined the club DEX (Delta Epsilon Chi, which is a global college Marketing club) and if we participated in the state competition we would be able to skip the final and the big paper at the end of semester. I thought it was a no brainer to go and compete, I really didn't even care about it at all. So the competition came closer and closer, and even though I knew what I was going to sell, I really didn't prepare any material.

I was going to sell cookies. The shortbread raspberry swirl ones that my dad and grandpa perfected not too long ago. So I get to the competition and there are a bunch of guys that are participating in the event with me. They were selling everything from flashlights to pest control to Cutco knives. I was confident in my sales skills and I was able to set up the scenario for the judges. There were 4 judges for my event and I told them that they were the owners of a European goods store. That was the setup. So it is done as a role play with the judges trying to throw objections out and seeing how well we counter them. We had 20 minutes for the presentation and frankly I killed it. I knew I had done well and was confident that I should place in the top 2.

Bre came up with me for the awards ceremony and I won 1st place! It was pretty sweet. We got a lame medal, plaque, and certificate. But we do get a free ride to the National competition. So they pay for my plane ticket, hotel, and registration for the competition which is this year in Louisville, KY. So April 17-20 I'll be close to Churchhill Downs to compete against the rest of the country. Maybe I'll throw down a few bucks on a horse or two. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Mack! We are so excited for you.

Stephanie Yamashita said...

Wow!! I am so happy for you! I know you are an awesome sales man. So how fun you get to go to Kentucky!! hahahahahaha just get back in time for Bre's graduation!! Congratulations!!

Cherie said...

the CHAMP is here!