Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tips From A Florist

I am taking a floral design class and just about every week we have a lab where we put together a flower arrangment. Last week was our first lab and we learned how to wrap flowers in tissue paper and stuff. This was my bouquet. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but hey it was my first time. I had a rose, some carnations, some daisies, button mums, and some salal.


It has been fun learning flower names and foliage. I though I'd share some flower tips that I've picked up because Valentine's Day is coming up and most likely someone will be getting some flowers.

Tip #1: When cutting flowers before putting in vase, get a bowl of warm water and put the ends of the stems in that while you cut it. It helps to keep air out of the stem so it soaks up more water.

Tip #2: Cut the stems at an angle and not with scissors. Scissors just squish the stem and it makes it harder to soak up water. Its best to use a knife, floral clippers, or sheers.

Tip #3: USE THE FLOWER FOOD IT COMES WITH! I would always throw it away because I didn't think it was necessary, but it actually works and makes your flowers last at least a week longer.

Tip #4: Use warm water in vase and clean out the water every couple of days so that the bacteria in the vase doesn't kill your flowers.

I have tons more tips so the next time I have my floral lab I'll show you what I made and tell you some secrets of the floral industry.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think your arrangement is really pretty. I like your color choices. Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming. Some day I will have flowers and need them ;)

Stephanie Yamashita said...

Yea! I didn't know you were taking this class. How fun. Great tips and I thought your bouquet was very pretty!!

Cherie said...

haha drew always shares these tips with me as well. i have to plant a seed for my class and it needs it grow because it is part of my grade..but its not growing. you should help me.