Thursday, July 2, 2009

Two of My Favorite Things

Mack here. Been a while since I blogged so I thought I would write a bit. I have been missing something in my life for the last few years since my mission and since the multiple knee surgeries but it has found new life. Golf. I LOVE golf. I played daily in high school and have played with the same clubs for about 7 years now so needless to say, it is time for a new set. So I've been playing with this TaylorMade 320ti Driver that back in the day was awesome but there has been some amazing progress in technology since 2002. So I go into the golf shop here in San Antonio looking around for a driver. I had done a bit of research and grabbed one of the drivers I wanted to try out and I go into the simulation booth to test hit the driver and I start crushing it. I average about 300-315 yds. with my older driver which is still long but I hit this newer driver 340 yds! I was really happy about that but the golf pro started watching me and asked what club I was hitting and he said "hold on, that club can't keep up with you, let me grab you something" So he came back with the new TaylorMade Burner and he said "hit this". So I grab it and hit it 375 yds! The golf pro was amazed and then told "just grip it and rip it as hard as you can" So I swung as hard as I possibly could while keeping good form and I set the record at the golf shop with a huge 405 yd. drive! The golf pro couldn't believe it. He said "well I think that you have found your club" I went over and grabbed the ball to hit it again but I found that I had cracked the ball right down the middle! They had me sign this little towel that they kept by the simulator with all of the records that they had seen and they let me keep the ball. It was pretty sweet.


I love to play Chess and have played since grade school and even taught a bit in high school. So I thought that I would teach my lovely wife how to play the game I love. So I went on the internet and bought a $7 chess set similar to the ones that I played on in high school and over the last couple weeks have taught Bre a bit about the game. She has caught on quckly and we've already had some fun games. It's been fun to play again and I'm sure in no time she is going to become quite adept.

2 comments:

Noelle said...

That is amazing Mack!! Kurt has just been getting into golfing. He'll be amazed when he reads this. And Bre didn't know how to play chess? That is one of our favorite games to play although Kurt beats be 8 out of 10 times.

Stephanie Yamashita said...

I'm glad you found the right club! That's so funny about the golf ball! Maybe they need to update those!

My brother loves chess and his life centers around playing on the internet and in tournaments.

So I'm glad you and Bre are having fun playing chess.

WE miss you guys!