Saturday, September 11, 2010

盆栽!!!!

Mack here, my wife has been asking me to post for the last 6 months, so I finally obliged.  Not only do you have the great privilege of reading my post, but also getting a taste for my new hobby....BONSAI!!!  Bonsai is the art of growing trees.  It originated in China but grew popularity in Japan, where we get the word bonsai.  To my surprise, as I was learning a little bit about this, I found out that the bonsai trees are grown from full stock seeds. I thought that it was some kind of "dwarfing" mutation but it just uses long term cultivation techniques like pruning, root reduction, potting, defoliation, and grafting to produce small trees that mimic the shape and style of mature, full sized trees.  It's pretty neat stuff and I never thought I was much of a green thumb (which was a term I had always associated with the art of weeding a garden).  But I don't like my thumbs that much (thumbs are weird looking aren't they???) so I guess I'll go with the term green finger.  Especially when my nails are manicured and trimmed, they are quite beautiful..hahaha.  I digress, I'm watching college football at the same time as writing this and it seems a little bit harder than first anticipated.

 Here are a few pics of my 5 year old, 7 inch tall deciduous Ficus tree.  Breana has affectionately named her Treebeard.  Not the prettiest name but I let her name this one.  I'm saving up for either a 20 year old Chinese Elm that is only 12 inches tall, or a 18 year old, 15 inch Juniper which I will name. Gorgeous trees, go look them up.

I use a growing light b/c out apartment has no natural light.
Beautiful little thing, isn't it?




I really like this picture.  I'm constantly amazed at the quality of pictures that the iPhone 4 can take. (obviously I can see that this one is a little blurry, user error)






















          Up close and personal meeting with Treebeard.














I am waiting for my office clock that I ordered to arrive here from Crate and Barrel and as soon as it is put up it will finish off my side of the office (Bre gets the other half) and I will post some pictures of the new HQ (playing too much Starcraft II) 

 OH YEAH, I ALMOST FORGOT TO MENTION!!!!!...........
       
      I got a new watch. It's gold plated Dolce&Gabbana.  Don't hate, or I will blind you with the blistering rays of the sun that bounce of this hot timepiece. 

Cheers,
      Big Mack

PS - since all who are reading probably think I'm a self absorbed douche, I'll tell you something that will help calm those envious feeling you inherit: Since moving to Ogden, I really miss being around my family and my wonderful brothers and sisters in law, and especially their children.  My little nephews and nieces that I can't get enough of.  Till next time.

2 comments:

Cherie said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! all i can say is wow. "blind you with the blistering rays..."??? hahahahahahaha. im psyched about the bonsai trees though. those are way cool. and for the record....i do not believe you are a self absorbed douche. hahahah

Stephanie Yamashita said...

The brother and sister in law and their kids miss you too! Oh, and miss Breana. Their home isn't the same without you. I enjoy having the "spare room" to myself, but I would gladly sleep in the family room just to have you and Bre back! Now I'm gone I guess it doesn't matter!! Love you guys!